Sunday, September 19, 2010

full circle

Approximately 16 years ago, I started volunteering in South Minneapolis - with kids.  During my first visit (on a crowded school van, full of eager college students) I fell in love with the city. 

Me & godsons back in 2001
Having grown up a suburban kid, I didn't really have much exposure to urban life.  So the first time I went, I was enthralled by the activity, the sheer volume of people & the openness of the children.  I was hooked.

During college, I volunteered for 2 years & lead lots of groups down to the city.  Then after graduation, I moved into the neighborhood & lived there for 5 years.  There I met my godsons, learned many lessons, was mentored by people of various ethnicities & fell in love. 


Godsons Now (well, last year)





So last night (16 years later) I still find myself in love with the city, but with a whole new twist.  My daughter is now one of the kids in the neighborhood.  And the neighbors are her friends.  They still come over & play.  I still make them snacks.  And I still enjoy sitting outside watching all of the activity.  I love it even more now . . . and I loved it a lot back then, so that's a lotta love!
All of my kids - last summer

2 comments:

  1. Em,
    The fragrance of the Spirit is joy. I so see God's love pouring out from you to these kids. I am so very proud of you and honored to witness it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I love this post! I just wish we lived in the same neighborhood so we could enjoy it together!

    ReplyDelete