Tuesday, September 14, 2010

drivel

With the change of seasons has come a significant transition in schedule for us.  Gone are days of extended afternoons & evenings with Dan at home . . . and friends are back in school.  So that means we (the girls) have to find other people to play with & other things to do.

I've found there are some real upsides . . . like more time to ponder life.  I've also gotten lots of little things done around the house (refilled the hummingbird feeders, cleaned up the front of the house, sprayed down the cobweb-covered toys out back, etc.).  We've even done some fun "cooking" together (a funny story later).

But there are some downsides too . . . grumpy mom in the afternoon, not as much personal time as I'd like to do the things that help me thrive, and less energy to connect when Dan does get home.

So I've been making a mental list of things for us/me to do this fall.  Sarah, this one's for you (she's a great list-maker :-).
  1. mend a couple of M's dresses (yes, people, I'm going to get out a sewing needle!  watch out!)
  2. refill & rehang the bird feeder
  3. get details ready for Dan's book signings
  4. purge & give stuff away
  5. redecorate shoes (the ones that I salsa-fied earlier this spring :-)
  6. write a few cards to folks I love
  7. figure out our business stuff
Anyway . . . enough of my drivel . . . now for a funny "helper" story . . .


So Mahalia is "helping" me make tuna sandwiches for lunch today & when the mayo bottle makes that sound that only an almost-empty condiment bottle sound can make, she says, "Hey!  That sounds like a toot."  And then laughs.  Ah . . . the simple things!

1 comment:

  1. Transitions are always a bummer. That in-betweeny time. I hope that you find your new rhythm soon.

    ReplyDelete