Friday, March 25, 2011

keeping the cat out

Our neighbor's adorable cat LOVES to come over to our house.  We started feeding her occasionally about 2 years ago, at which point she started coming over every day & meowing - trying to weasel her way in.  Since we love her, we often let her in.  

However, one day (before Mahalia could talk), while I was in the other room, she opened the door & let the cat in.  The cat bit her.  I literally kicked the cat out & that was that for over a year.  Ain't no cat gonna bite my baby!

But then she started hanging around again about 6 months ago.  Mahalia LOVES her, so now that she was a little older, we explained that she had to move slowly & be extra careful around the cat . . . and gradually, the cat made her way back in again.  But then - about 2 weeks ago (again, while I was in the other room) - the cat bit Mahalia (but HARD this time).  That was that - NO MORE.

However . . . Mahalia LOVES the cat (have I mentioned that).  She begs me literally EVERY day to let her in.  She explained to me that the cat said she was sorry & wouldn't do it again.  I told her that was nice, but we still weren't letting the cat back in.  She then explained to me that she forgave the cat.  The kid got me thinking, but then it occurred to me that the cat is a LOT like people in life . . . 

 . . . if you prove to be an unsafe person, I've gotta keep you away from my kid (& me for that matter), and from me - even if you apologize . . . even if I love you dearly . . . even if you say you won't do it again.  It's my job as a parent to protect my kid (& myself) - even when she doesn't want me to.  The cat stays out.

1 comment: