Thursday, March 10, 2011

guilt

Being a White, Baptist, German, good mid-western girl, guilt is something I'm very familiar with.  

Over the last few years, I've worked hard to rid myself of useless guilt.  I've decided the only kind necessary is the momentary kind that moves me from guilt to freedom (ie. making a different choice, or just letting guilt go because it's not actually useful).  It's kinda like anger - it's a good indicator that something is being "pinged" on my internal radar, and that I need to consider whatever that thing is, but then let the guilt part go.

However - recently I've found myself being guilt-ridden.  I won't get into all of the details, because that's not the point.  Guilt is fairly universal & we've all experienced it at some point along the way (especially if you have any relationships - ha!).  The point is that guilt is no longer serving me, my friends, or my family.  Guilt is keeping me in my own little world of the mind - scrutinized, agonized & harassed.  It keeps me sad, it keeps me inactive & it keeps me from moving forward.

So today, I bid guilt farewell.  I know what I need to do & I am familiar with the trade-offs.  I can't have the perfect solution to what ails me.  "Good enough" will have to do.  Farewell guilt.  I bid thee well (well, actually I don't - good riddance!).

No comments:

Post a Comment