Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Psalm 23

The 23rd Psalm is one of the most quoted Psalms . . . often ad nauseum for those of us who don't like to get "Bible versed" by well-meaning, but overly religious folk.

I've always read Psalm 23 from a white, urban, college-educated perspective.  After getting an actual shepherd's take on it, this book REVOLUTIONIZED my understanding of this powerful Psalm.  

I have a whole new appreciation for phrases like "He anoints my head with oil."  Did you know that shepherds actually rub an oil mixture all over their sheeps' heads to keep the nasty parasites/bugs out of their noses?  

And did you know that sheep often die . . . because they get stuck upside down?  WHAT!!!???  They get so much wool & they're so NOT agile that they can get stuck upside down & die from asphyxiation.  Nutty!

If you have a few bucks & want a most excellent read, check this one out!

1 comment:

  1. Just reserved it at the library. Interesting how we spiritualize this language when really it's like saying, "God puts on my flea collar." I'll take a look and we can chat.

    ReplyDelete