Monday, December 27, 2010

bittersweet . . . .but mostly sweet

The holidays are bittersweet for me.  In the 9 years that I've been married, I've only been in MN once over the holidays.  So I usually get a little teary-eyed at some point . . . missing being with my peeps back home.  This year had a new twist.  Mahalia kept saying that she thought we should get on an "ay-u-plane" and go to Minnesota.  She just loves the people in MN.

But this year was mostly sweet (in the bittersweet equation).  I've got a laundry list of highlights (& we haven't even hit New Year's or Dan's birthday yet).  Here are a few of the things I'm so very grateful for.

There was this handmade card from Alberto (a friend we've known for almost 7 years).  He's a cherished member of our family, so it was especially cool to get something handmade from him.

Then we spent the 23rd at the zoo.  The highlights for the day included cotton candy and getting the "soft snake" with the remainders of Mahalia's birthday money.  She carried that thing ALL OVER the zoo.  Every 3 year old in sight would point to it & shout "look at the snake!"  It was a hit.




Then on Christmas Eve, we spent the day as a family at Universal Studios.  We ate lunch ($10 off, thanks to a coupon book that we got gifted!), watched people "flying" in a sky-diving simulator, saw Santa, and took in all of the SoCal entertainment sights.  We also caught a matinee in the theatre - a TOTAL bust.  We walked out early - we were all bored stiff.  But on the way out, Mahalia says, "That was SO fun!"  I think she might've been referring to the popcorn (or pop-cwown) as she calls it.  

It wasn't a "white" Christmas - but a very authentically SoCal, sunny one :-)

Christmas Day, we invited all of our friends (with family far away) over for a literal Hodge podge of a dinner.  Being low on cash, we decided that instead of buying anything additional for Christmas, we'd use what we had in the freezer.  So Dan put together an AMAZING spread . . . Mexican rice, Cuban-style beans, sausage links & a killer meatloaf.  Then we forced our talented friends to lead us in a round of The Twelve Days of Christmas.  It was hilarious!


My heart is full . . . and I'm thankful for those I love -those near & those far, who love me so very much.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! Beautiful post and fabulous spirit.
    From one who loves you,

    ReplyDelete