Monday, August 23, 2010

whose fault is it?

The other day, as I was explaining a situation to a friend, she pointed out that I mentioned something was, "my fault" 4 times in 4 sentences.  She asked why I was so focused on assigning fault to myself . . . and I didn't have a good answer.

Then a few days later (no coincidence, I'm sure) when I was out dancing, I made a mistake while dancing & said, "Oh, I'm sorry . . . that was my fault."  The guy I was dancing with said, "This is just for fun - it's nobody's fault."  I was really touched by his sincere & genuine response.

So what's up with finding fault?  Anyone else do this?  Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I find that I'm reflexively apologetic. Maybe its a crude idea of being polite. Maybe its a misguided impulse to keep peace. While it has, in fact, kept things polite and improved prospects for peace, I fear it comes from an impulse of appeasement to forces out of my control.

    Not helpful in the long run.



    (Dammit, it's my parent's fault! They brought me up that way!)


    Sorry about that little outburst. ;)

    ReplyDelete