Tuesday, June 29, 2010

learning how to lead

One of the challenges of being a female salsa instructor is that we instinctively know how to follow, but we have to learn how to lead.  This has been a challenge for me & I've been reluctant to venture out on my own to really learn how to do it proficiently enough that I can actually teach it.

Over the weekend, I met a really amazing woman.  She owns her own dance studio just up the street & teaches all of her own classes (even though she has a partner).  So I asked if I could come to her classes - to watch & learn from her.  She said I could, so I went to two of her classes last night & learned SO much!  It rocked my world. 

I'm thrilled because she said I could continue to come & learn from her - and I can lead other women (cuz they're usually short of men that particular class).  I'm so grateful for her open spirit to help me out.  What a gift!

2 comments:

  1. Yea!! I'm so excited for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em, that is such great news! I appreciate you being open to the good when it presents itself and for choosing what will really work for you. As a teacher, I'm delighted to see you spreading your wings and I think a woman mentor is such a great match.

    ReplyDelete