Friday, June 25, 2010

don't count

Today Dan had to appear before a judge (nothing scandalous - sorry! :-) & asked me to come along as a witness.  Having no family in town & being strapped for cash to pay a babysitter, we took Mahalia along.  We explained how it would go & packed a bag of toys to keep her occupied, so she was all set.

When the judge called Dan back into the courtroom, Mahalia & I were just a few steps behind, but the door got locked & we couldn't get through.  By the time someone buzzed us through, they had already gotten to the hearing room & we didn't know which one.  So we had to find someone to show us where to go & let us through another round of security. 

Once we got in the door - the judge went into a rage.  He insulted us & told us to get out - that he didn't need us or our testimony.  So out we went.  No one had said that children weren't allowed - none of the paperwork or people behind the desk.  And being a working class family without nannies, grandparents etc. we didn't have anyone to watch her.


As I took Mahalia back out into the waiting area, she kept asking me why we didn't get to see the judge & I didn't have a good answer.  Seems like the only people who "count" in society are the powerful . . . those with jobs, those with money, those with grey hair & fancy titles.  Women, children, and those who hold society together by the subtle service we provide to the world simply don't count. 


It was the second time in two days that I was reminded that I don't count as much as a man - and it sucked.

3 comments:

  1. ugh. I'm so sorry you (and the fam) had to experience that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This hurts mt heart to read this because you always have someone to watch Mahalia in me. Different moms, same Father...we are sisters. I know you wouldn't have known it to turn out like this but that better not ever happen again!!!! I'm always on call! : )

    ReplyDelete