Thursday, June 24, 2010

beauty of boredom

As a kid, I hated being bored - loathed it.  I almost drove my parents nuts whenever I was bored.  I spent the first 35 years of my life running so hard & so fast that I barely had time to drink life in & really enjoy it.  Then I got laid off . . . and became a stay-at-home mom (not my dream situation).  But I've come to see it as a gift.

Don't get me wrong - boredom ain't glamorous.  There are dishes, meals, laundry, errands, tantrums & more dishes, meals, laundry etc.  However, I've had more time to think this past year than I can remember ever having had before. I have had time to drink life in & savor each day.  I no longer have to run from appointment to appointment.  I no longer rush my daughter, my hubby or myself around.  There is enough time.

And what's even better is that I've had time to discover my own inner life.  I've had time to think, reflect, feel pain, and make actual changes instead of remaining perplexed by the world & dynamics that surround me.  I think this must be one of the great gifts of life - enough time to be bored occassionally.

2 comments: