Wednesday, June 9, 2010

first time

I taught my first salsa class solo last night. My partner was super sick & couldn't talk . . . so it was either cancel or do it solo. So solo I went.

Though I spent well over a decade as a tennis coach, there was something particularly nerve wracking about teaching a partner dance by myself. I called my sister (a life long teacher) on the way for some solace. She gave me really good advice. She said, "Just remember, no matter how nervous you are, they are 3 times more nervous. Besides, you know what you are doing, and it's about them learning, not you."

So I showed up with sound system, CD, remote control (so I wouldn't have to walk across the room to start/stop the music), and dancing shoes. I mustered up all of the courage I had. Then . . . only two women were there. And they were new. Where were my veteran students? Oh yeah . . . Lakers are in the finals. Crap! So ten minutes later, it was just me & 8 women.

But it turned out PERFECT. I was able to focus just on the ladies & not having to teach the men's part. We did footwork, styling, and a few combinations. By the end, we had a really long combination worked out & they had a ball. There were four new women & they all said they'd be back next week.

And to celebrate . . . I went out & danced :-)

3 comments: