Wednesday, October 27, 2010

i will survive

I've recently witnessed a form of (what appears to me to be) a crazy competition.  

I refer to it as the, "Who Can Survive More in Life?" competition.  It seems to have a particular appeal to women . . . as we try to demonstrate our competency, our determination & our sheer ability to overcome whatever life throws at us.  There is a certain "badge of honor" we wear for our ability to do/be MORE of whatever comes our way.  We tend to white knuckle our way through life - relationships, parenting, jobs, social networks etc. as some sort of maneuver to demonstrate some sort of superiority.

While I used to subscribe to this particular competition (especially in my 20's) with absolute vigor, I no longer have any desire whatsoever to even participate (much less win).  I used to spend countless hours trying to prove my tenacity & worth (what I was trying to prove, I'm not sure).  But now, I find it exhausting to even enter the competition - which I find hilarious (since once upon a time, I was the queen of this comical competition).

Though this competition takes many forms, here are my top three favorites:
  • "I can work harder & accomplish WAY more than you"
  • "I have more kids & that's better than your one (who still naps - you slouch)"
  • "I can withstand far more stress in my life than you can"
YEP!  It's true.  You win.  And I'll be happy to let you :-)

1 comment:

  1. U laughed out loud at that "You win!" The super woman competition has lost much of its allure for me, too. Precisely what that allure was escapes me, frankly. Please remind me of sanity if I ever get tempted.

    ReplyDelete