Wednesday, October 6, 2010

i will lift my voice

As we often do - we (my daughter & I) were singing in the car together - driving from one place to another.  She likes me to turn it up loud so she can sing in the back seat.

But last Friday was different.  She wanted me to play a certain song, but I couldn't figure out which one.  After repeating what I thought she was saying over & over, it was clear to me that we weren't hearing each other clearly.  So rather than continue our tearful communication, I pulled over & went through my iPod one song at a time.

"No mommy, that's not it."  "How about this one?" I asked.  "No!"

This went on for a few minutes until I finally hit the one.  I had only played it for her once before, but evidently it struck something in her.  It's called "I Will Lift My Voice" by Stephen Newby.  Since last Friday, we have listened to that song at least 80 times (and I'm NOT exaggerating).  Literally every time we have a spare moment, she wants to sing it.  So sing it we do.

After about the 15th time I realized this song was for me . . . and I realized I need it more than she does.  It's become our anthem during this season of life.  Mahalia - thanks for lifting your voice.  You bless me.

3 comments:

  1. Wow- what a great reminder of God's goodness!

    We worked with Dr. Newby at SPU, and are continually being blessed by his work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always believed that little girl is gonna have something to say to the church :) I love that she's already getting started!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just listened to the song on you tube although I couldn't find it by Newby. What a beautiful song. God gets us what we need when we need it. I am especially blessed when He gets it to kids to give to us.
    May God strengthen and enrich Mahalia's listening ear and open heart.

    ReplyDelete