Saturday, March 17, 2012

an hour

Our weekly Friday tradition is to go to Sukhadia's to get the most delicious Indian dessert.  Mahalia & I pick it up, so that when Dan arrives home from work, we eat dessert first - and then dinner :-)  So yesterday, since it was such a gorgeous day, Mahalia & I decided to walk to the restaurant (about a 20 minute walk). 

I thought LA was diverse . . . but the north side of Chicago is a whole other story!  We were gone for an hour, and within that hour, I only saw three other white people (a family walking a dog).  Other than that, we (we'll me, really, since Mahalia is Blaxicasian) were the only Caucasian folks.  It was the coolest feeling - to be surrounded by such incredible, beautiful diversity.

If you know me, you know I LOVE people from other cultures.  There is something so beautiful about the way God expresses himself through people & their way of life.  I find it to be a wealth of adventure & lifelong learning that inspires me & intrigues me to constantly be learning and trying new things.

Our neighborhood is a solid mixture of Indian folks, Jewish folks, and Muslim folks.  There are Qurans, Temples (Hindu & Jewish), and Mosques everywhere. It's remarkable, really.  So many people from such incredibly different backgrounds - all sharing a few square miles together. I'm anxious to re-learn the history I've been taught as a white American & learn more about their culture, so I have an even greater appreciation for my community, for them, and for God's creativity.

1 comment:

  1. Me too! And we are called Xenophiles as I learned during letter X week at Alana's preschool. Actually I also learned the opposite which is xenophobe because it was on a pre-printed work sheet, which really pissed me off. Really Mrs. Henry? Were you thinking at all when you chose this AND at least half of the kids here are 1st generation Americans. ERG, the ignorance! Ok, I'm done.

    ReplyDelete