Sunday, November 28, 2010

to my unknown sister

We were only 2 blocks from church - on time for the 10:30 service worship.  We hit the park first to get out some wiggles.  After a romp on the slides, swings & exercise machines, we got back in the car.

As we pulled out of the parking lot onto Washington Blvd this morning, I watched one woman grab another woman around the neck & throw her to the ground.  It was done with so much force, that I thought it was a man who had done it.  We slowed down & took a second look.  I drove another block & was finding a parking space, but was haunted by what I just witnessed, uncertain of how to help.

Mahalia asked what just happened, so I explained.  She said, "but Mom, we need to help her.  She needs help, Mom!"  In that moment, it became clear . . . so we made a u-turn and drove back.  As we drove the block back, Mahalia sang this song . . . "we're coming to save you, we're coming to save you."

I wish I could tell you that what happened next made all of the difference to that victimized woman, but they quickly disappeared - obviously knowing one another & wanting to avoid the police.  And as I gave my report to the police, I wonder how that woman is doing.  Did she get assaulted again?  Did the police ever find them?  I don't know.

But I know that my daughter's heart was to save you from the abuse.  Today we stand with our sisters (known & unknown).  As we see your abuse, we will not be silent.  We will stand with you for peace.

1 comment:

  1. I am so very proud of you both. As one who has spent a lifetime walking from abuse to peace, I appreciate having strong, caring women like you both stand against the evil. Mahalia- keep singing out your actions. That's very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete