Tuesday, May 18, 2010

it's good to be a white girl

So my 2:20am conversation went something like this . . .

Officer: Good morning Ma'am. I hate being called Ma'am, but who's gonna mention anything when you just got pulled over by the CHP?
Me: Good morning. As I hand my license & registration over to the officer
Officer: Do you know why you were pulled over?
Me: No idea.
Officer: You were swerving all over the road.
Me: Really!?
Officer: Yes.
Me: Wow. I had no idea. Huh.

Officer: Where are you coming from?
Me: Dancing.
Officer: Had anything to drink?
Me: Yes. Tons of water.
Officer: You were swerving into the lane behind that truck back there. I swear there was no truck, nor was I swerving, but again, who's gonna argue?
Me: Oh wow. I must've been jamming to my music.
Officer: Are you sure you haven't had anything to drink.
Me: looking him straight in the eye: Tons of water.
Officer: Well, I guess it's easy to lose track of the lanes when there's no traffic. Please be careful ma'am. And have a good night.
Me: Thanks. You too.

Then just like that, I drive away within 3 minutes. No breathalizer. No "walk the straight line" test. No ticket. Nothing. The first thing I think is, "I wonder what would've happened if it was Dan they had stopped at 2:20 in the morning. I guess it's good to be a white girl.

4 comments:

  1. It's too bad that a "Curse the Devil" had to worm its way into a "Praise God" kind of story. Alas, it is a sign of the times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh - that's an interesting take on my story. I actually thought it was pretty cool that even in the midst of my own situation that I was aware of the injustices that others face. Justice is one of those things that is very close to the heart of God - and to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Emily,
    I think that it's wonderful that you remember the suffering of others. It is highly bad that there are sufferings and injustices and sin in the first place. As your story is an example, these spoil what might have been more glorious moments.

    ReplyDelete