Thursday, November 19, 2009

rated R

I think one of the marks of the human experience is our common desire to be known & accepted. Everyone, I believe, longs to have others see them . . . really see them - blemishes, wrinkles, ugly days & all. Then once we are seen for who we truly are, we want to be accepted at a profound level.

We want to be loved for who we truly are - not for the facade that we can occasionally fake or for the games we play. In fact, one of the main reasons people grow so acustomed to wearing a mask, is precisely because they don't feel seen and accepted at a gut level.

That being said, I was deeply grieved today by the fact that my life is rated R, and someone close to me only watches G movies. He only wants the "upbeat, everything'll be ok, kumbaya" version of my life . . . which (quite frankly), I'm not all that interested in telling. My life, while having incredible moments of joy & vibrancy has been marked by pain, lessons learned (some the hard way), death (of people & of dreams), and mistakes. So when he kept changing subjects each time I tried to approach the "R" side of my life, I felt like crying (and I actually did today).

Today someone asked me a great question, "Would you rather have no relationshipwith him, or a relationship that he can handle?" And quite frankly . . . I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment