Monday, August 24, 2009

release is freedom

Each year, my sister has a theme for the year - the theme works as a guide throughout the year.
I can't remember exactly which year "release is freedom" was the theme, but we've had quite a few meaningful conversations about it. When I think freedom, I don't so much think of release - which is really quite ironic . . . given that being released from something say, like, prison would be GREAT news. But typically I think of freedom as having the time or space to get what I want - and I usually want MORE of whatever it is . . . clothes, dates with my hubby, great dances etc.

But this whole notion of "release is freedom" got me to thinking . . . and helped me let go of a bunch of stuff - physical and emotional. Over the last few months, I've let go of lots of stuff that I was hoping to hang on to for future use - like baby stuff, clothes, gadgets etc that I might need in the future. We had a yard sale & we also sold a bunch of stuff on Craig's list. Funny thing is - once I let it go, I felt free. No longer obligated to think about it, maintain it, protect it etc. Now there's space (literal space) . . . which in my world translates into peace.

So I'm wondering what else I need to release - cuz I'm diggin' the freedom.

1 comment:

  1. That's so counterintuative for me but it's gonna get me thinking. Love ya. :)

    ReplyDelete