Monday, August 10, 2009

greatest joy

Lately, Dan & I have been wrestling through some tough decisions . . . the kind of decisions that alter the course of your life (for the rest of your life) . . . the kind of decisions that you think about, stay awake at night about, pray about, talk with friends about & agonize about. I've wrestled through the "shoulds," "norms," "oughts," "pros & cons," etc.

I don't know about you, but when you're making one of these kinds of life-altering decisions, people have all kinds of interesting/annoying/unhelpful/helpful/insightful advice. With regards to our decisions, I've heard all kinds of things - mostly the "same old, same old" stuff - not particularly helpful.

But then I was talking with a trusted friend . . . and she said something that blew my mind. She said to me "Emily - I don't know what you should do, but I encourage you to press into your greatest joy." WHAT!!!??? Press into your greatest joy? Then she followed up with, "I don't encourage you to look at this rationally or take too much stock in what is the easiest route. Our greatest joy often comes with the greatest struggle. But in the end, your heart will be full."

I was speechless. It resonnated deep in my spirit & I knew she was right . . . I need to press into my greatest joy.

1 comment:

  1. I would have to agree with your friend... our greatest joy does often come with the greatest struggle. Amen! Speaking from experience, I know this to be true :)

    ReplyDelete