Friday, April 30, 2010

community

"Community" has so many different meanings that I hesitate to even use the word.

So I asked a trusted elder the other day, "What does it mean to be community with other people?" Wisely, she replied, "Community is consistently presenting your authentic self to others over time." Brilliant! But then I said, "Yeah, that's great . . . except when they don't present their authentic selves." Then she said, "That's community too." I had a good laugh.

But today I had a pretty great experience being "community" with a girlfriend. Some things happened & we had given each other some space over the last few months. But then today we had the opportunity to talk - really talk. We shared & brought our authentic selves to the conversation. It was one of the most beautiful experiences I've had recently. You know who you are sister, and I love you for bringing your authentic self today & for meeting me as myself. I love you & am glad you are a part of my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment