Tuesday, September 29, 2009

give what you have

A while ago I was sad - really sad. I wished I could give a young person I care about all that they needed in a tough moment. He poured out his heart . . . feeling sad because he hasn't seen his father in years & really misses him. As the tears rolled down his cheeks, I fought back my own tears.

Later that day, I was angry - really angry. I was angry at the world. Angry at "the man." Angry that the system isn't working for him. The things he is dealing with at a young age are unjust - SO UNJUST.

Then I was frustrated - frustrated that I couldn't give him all that he needs in life. I felt frustrated that I saw such incredible need & could only give a small portion of what he needs.

Later that day, a very wise woman told me, "You can't give him everything he needs, but you can give what you have."

So often I focus on what I don't have, or what I'd like to have . . . or worse, what others have that I don't have. Then I get all bent out of shape because I can't play god. Shame on me. Shame on me for being so arrogant as to even think for one brief moment that I should have everything he needed - and causing him to be dependent on me. What he needs is far more profound than I could imagine - the depths of which only God can satisfy. What ALL of us need is far more profound than what any one person can possibly do.

We can't give others everything they need, but we CAN give what we have.









1 comment: