Wednesday, September 23, 2009

dump truck

So the other day, someone just backed the emotional truck up & dumped all over me.

It happened to be someone who I know loves me a lot, so on the one hand, I was bummed, sad, disappointed etc. Then on the other hand, I was cracking up inside. He has been emotionally illiterate our entire relationship. He (& no, it's not my hubby!) has done this MANY times over the course of our relationship, but this was the first time I was able to see the whole thing from "outside" . . . it was like an out-of-body experience. I "watched" it happen.

There he was, saying really mean stuff (based on info he got from someone else) . . . dumping all over me. No clarifying questions, no attempt to understand where I was coming from . . . just accusations & dumping.

Normally, I would defend myself & try to explain. This time I just listened in astonishment & said, "I need you help me to understand . . . I have no idea what you're talking about" which I think disarmed him a bit. Then after dumping a bunch more, he abruptly ended the conversation. Strange. Or maybe par for the course for our relationship.

Where do I go from here?

3 comments: