Thursday, September 29, 2011

power of the same page

Last night, Dan & I had a brief, but powerful, conversation.  We've always been reading from the same book in life.  But after 10 years, I think we are finally on the same page. 
We've had so many opposite experiences in life, that it's been easy to see things from a completely different point of view.  Some are obvious differences (like me growing up white, middle class in the north and him a bi-racial kid in the deep south).  Others experiences aren't quite so obvious (like different experience with the police & in educational settings). 

In many ways, the differences have been our greatest strength.  We've helped one another see the world differently.  But I think life has forced me to take some significant steps toward him over the last few months, and vice versa.

So I celebrate today.  I celebrate our dedication to loving despite the myriad differences between us.  And I celebrate being on the same page.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment