Wednesday, June 15, 2011

sanctuary

When I think of a sanctuary, I usually envision the  gathering room of the church I grew up in.  Or I picture it as a holy place where only certain people can go.

In my mind, it's always been a big place where thousands of people could gather comfortably - all listening to one person preach.  I think that's definitely one good way to utilize a sanctuary.

However, today I realized I've come to view a sanctuary as a completely different kind of place.  

This is the picture of my sanctuary in Pasadena.  Though it doesn't look very impressive, it is a sacred space.  It's a safe place - a place where two souls came together every week for three years.

It is the place where I was listened to without judgment.  It is the place that has been a catalyst for change.  It is the place where I received God's deepest healing.  It is the place that reminds me of the goodness of God, and the strength of His love.  It is the place I have re-learned how to love . . . myself, God & others.

1 comment:

  1. Em, that is a stunning tribute and I'm so glad you've found such a place.

    ReplyDelete