Sunday, December 27, 2009

humanity

Today I'm feeling my humanity. Found out that a close family member has been diagnosed with a terminal illness - a very unpleasant one that includes extreme memory loss, along with other (not so pleasant) ailments too. So I've been (again) all over the map emotionally. I've gone from completely numb to extremely sad. One minute I'm fine & the next I feel like I won't be able to stop crying.

Called a good friend on the phone today. She has been down this road too many times for someone our age, so I asked for some wisdom about what to expect & how to handle it. She had good advice & was very kind. We talked about the particular challenges of parenting while grieving & she reminded me that it's my job to teach my kid how to be human, not perfect - especially in the midst of life's unexpected curveballs.

So today, I press into my humanity . . . not perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment