Wednesday, July 29, 2009

inspiration

Today I had my final inspiration to start blogging . . . it came to me - the title, that is.

Over a year ago, my sister (a young, but wise, sage) was telling me about creating a "park bench of the soul" where you invite people into a sacred space. It's a space where striving stops and rest begins. It's a space where crazy ends & peace takes over. It's a space we all long for . . . that place where someone invites you into a safe place where you can share your soul. It's an intimate place that you can only arrive at through things that might not make sense at first glance - pain, suffering, loss. But it softens you. It makes you more gentle & kind. It's counter-intuitive. It doesn't require much - in fact, the more you "do" to arrive at the park bench, the less likely you are to actually get there.

Over the last year, I have been attempting to clear the decks - remove the "crazy" from my life - whatever (& whoever) that is. It's been a beautiful, difficult, humbling, courage-building journey. I've had to let go of many things - job, friends that kept me stuck, ideas about how my life "should" be, and old ways of thinking, convenient habits etc.

God has been speaking to me, as I've allowed him to sit with me on the park bench of my soul. We, along with a few trusted friends, have journeyed to the dark, but hopeful places. I hope that as I begin to blog, you might join me in creating space on the park bench of our souls.

8 comments:

  1. welcome to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. It has been an honor to watch the growth, tough decisions, hard places, and the letting go of habits in order to create a healthier place for yourself. I am deeply proud of you! Much love and respect..Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Em, may I sit down with you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done friend and sister whwn we have those cave like experiences and stop to hear God's voice through our wants and needs we begin again as Elijah did and let someone else take over that is God. Dont stop let your words be the pen of a ready writer and continue to speak life.... love you deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful. May I sit down with you too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to connecting with you here across the miles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. so glad to see you blogging! can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks friends - it means a lot to me that you might join me on this journey. Welcome to the park bench!

    ReplyDelete